I wouldn’t say I grew up in a lower class family, my great friend and I never wanted for anything, however looking back, I have to wonder, however my associate and I lived in the West so it never honestly got that cold however still, I have to question my parents’ choices for heating the house.
My associate and I didn’t have central heating, or anything like that.
My associate and I didn’t even have modern space heater. My parents would use the oven to heat the cabin in the winter, and it was a correct gas oven & they would turn it on to 350 degrees & leave it running for days! They were always sure to crack a window open in the family room though to make sure my great friend and I didn’t all die or carbon dioxide or something! And these were in the days before CO2 detectors were even invented. If the oven wasn’t enough to heat the entire house, they would use old fashioned space heaters that were basically coil wires behind a grill. The coil wires got red-hot & were rather effective, even though they were a fire hazard. I remember that my great friend and I had to be careful walking around these space heaters because they got so sizzling that they would melt the glue under the tiles so the tiles would slip & move if you walked on them near the heater… Still, no one ever got hurt or lacked oxygen & the cabin never burned down & I honestly don’t know if our heating was any weird than the way everyone else did it a few decades ago, but with central heating & space heaters now that turn themselves off if a piece of dust gets caught in them, I have to wonder how my great friend and I all survived before.